John 1:17

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Are You Having Fun Yet?



For the past three months I had the privilege of coaching my son’s pony league (12 to 14 years old) baseball team.  From the beginning it was my goal to make sure that the players had fun.  Win or lose I wanted to make sure they had fun.  Even in our worst loss of the season I told them during the game don’t even look at the score board just go out there and have fun!  They did just that and made a good comeback as well.  I even had a coach’s wife from another team state, "It is awesome how when I look in your dugout, all I see is smiles".  I love the game of baseball and I want the players to love it to.  I found that when the team is enjoying the game they play better.  It is contagious and every player at the end of the season said it was one of their best seasons ever! 


I love life and because of the unconditional love that God has for me I want others to love life to!


Over the past few weeks God reminded of a saying that I use a lot, usually in a sarcastic way and that is… Are you having fun yet?  Even to the degree to, are you enjoying life, the life I have given you?  I was reminded of the first miracle of Jesus when He turned the water into wine.  God had picked a joyous celebration to show His expression of love for them.  How Jesus when talking about the prodigal son, how his father was so happy and full of unconditional love that he restored his  position as a son, killed the fatted calf and had a party!  


1 Timothy 6:17 (Amplified Bible)
17 As for the rich in this world, charge them not to be proud and arrogant and contemptuous of others, nor to set their hopes on uncertain riches, but on God, Who richly and ceaselessly provides us with everything for [our] enjoyment.


What does the world see when they see you?  Do they see love, happiness, joy?  Do they look at you and say I want what you have.  When Jesus was on earth the people wanted what they saw in him.  I can only imagine how it was to be around him during his childhood.  The way he played, probably with reckless abandonment enjoying life to its fullness.  Then as an adult how the children wanting to be with him, how when he looked at Zacchaeus and said, hurry and come down; for I must stay at your house today.  Just think of the fun they had that day.  Zacchaeus was so moved by the experience that it changed his whole life.   


Philippians 4:4-5 (Amplified Bible)
4 Rejoice in the Lord always [delight, gladden yourselves in Him]; again I say, Rejoice!  5 Let all men know and perceive and recognize your unselfishness (your considerateness, your forbearing spirit). The Lord is near [He is [a]coming soon].


Psalm 37:4 (Amplified Bible)
4 Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart.


People today still seek Jesus.  In what way are you portraying the presence of Jesus?  Are you condemning, judgmental, and arrogant?  Or do they look and say I want whatever it is that you have because you are fun to be around, there is never a dull moment and you are always happy and care free.


I have a friend who talks about restoring my Daddy’s picture, bringing people to the place where they truly know and see the fullness of the love of God.  What is the picture that people see when they see you?  Are you having Fun yet?


*Father help me to lavish on others what you so freely have lavished on me, giving them a heartfelt welcome when I see them, an open-armed embrace, the biggest of smiles, and the best of celebrations.   


God Loves You!


* (John Sheasby – The Birthright)

No comments:

Post a Comment